Last updated February 14, 2022
Bone conduction technology has seen a bit of evolution! Early versions were large, bulky and uncomfortable. They were mostly used by people with some sort of hearing loss or others who needed to hear something but couldn’t distinguish regular sound for whatever reason (like if they were in an industry where it was important to monitor their surroundings.) Now BC headphones are hardly recognizable as anything like their predecessors. They’re light, modern-looking and comfortable; much more appealing than earlier models which basically clamped onto your head with earpieces that stuck into your skull.
Bone conduction technology is really impressive, but if you’ve never experienced it, then it can be difficult to visualize exactly what the user will experience with the headphones. The best way to explain bone conduction is through a simple experiment you can try at home.
Take two empty glass jars and fill them both nearly full with water. Now seal one of the openings of each jar with your finger (leaving only one opening). Bring your ear close to one of the open jars and shake it vigorously for 5 seconds. Stop shaking after 5 seconds, remove your finger from the flask, and listen closely without touching either flask (or removing your ear from either cup). You should hear very subtle noises that didn’t exist before you shook up the fluid. This is the same effect as bone conduction.
If you can’t hear anything, try this experiment again with hot water. When you shake the hot water, you will likely hear more noise than with cold water since it is easier to make molecules vibrate at higher heats (thus making them “noisier”).
Now that you know what bone conduction technology is like by experimenting with sound waves in your kitchen, read on about some of the best bone conduction headphones available on the market today…
Have you heard of “Shokz”?
Shokz, makers of premium bone conduction sport headphones and the only headphones that truly allow you to hear your environment while listening to music, just announced Shokz OpenRun Pro. The fourth generation of Shokz’s sport-focused open-ear headphone line is now available! OpenRun Pro features a 10-hour battery life, quick charge feature, enhanced sound quality from new 9th generation bone conduction technology and a 3+ hour quick charge for extended workouts. They offer situational awareness through signature open ear fit with improved comfort and stability. And come with two bass enhancers to bring out the low end notes in your favorite songs.
Shokz OpenRun Pro:
- Open-Ear Comfort - OpenRun Pro features our best fit yet. Avoid the discomfort of in-ear headphones with our bud-free design. These headphones stay put during any workout. Includes Shokz headband.
- Safety & Connection - OpenRun Pro ensures you enjoy your favorite audio with awareness of your environment for improved connection and safety compared to traditional earbuds or over-ear headphones.
- Premium Sound Quality - Experience premium audio delivered through your cheekbone with our 9th bone conduction technology. Engineered with Shokz TurboPitch technology, OpenRun Pro headset features our best listening experience with clear sound, powerful volume, and a rich bass.
- Secure Fit - A lightweight, wraparound titanium frame keeps your wireless headphones stable and in place during intense training.
- 10 Hours of Music & Calls - Enjoy ten continuous hours of music, calls and podcasts with our Bluetooth headphones. OpenRun Pro also features a 5-minute quick charge for up to 1.5 hours of battery life.
OpenRun Pro is versatile and can be used as portable headphones for everyday use as well as on the go, in the gym or on a run. OpenRun Pro is IP55 certified, so they are water and sweat resistant. They’re an all-around headphone with open-ear listening that delivers improved sound quality and maximum comfort to active individuals looking for premium bone conduction sport headphones at a reasonable price!
These headphones are the most premium yet and come with improved tech including enhanced sound quality, a 10-hour battery life or more! They redefine what you know about open ear listening as they have quick charge feature. These new Open Run Pro’s also feature 9th Generation bone conduction technology which gives better bass response than ever before – perfect for those who love their music loud & proud (and still want some privacy).
Features of the Shokz OpenRun Pro:
- Open-ear comfort – Featuring our signature open-ear design and delivering all-day
comfort. Crush your training goals and stay aware of traffic, pedestrians, cyclists, and more with OpenRun Pro.
- Premium sound quality with enhanced bass – Experience best-in-class audio delivered through your cheekbone, powered by 9th generation bone conduction technology (Shokz TurboPitchTM). OpenRun Pro is the first to be powered by Shokz TurboPitchTM, which adds two bass enhancers around the transducers, allowing you to experience every note, beat and chorus of your favorite tunes.
- 10-hour battery life + quick charge – 10 hours of music and calls to keep you powered up through two-a-days or long training sessions. OpenRun Pro also features a 5-minute quick charge for up to 1.5 hours of battery life.
- IP55 water-resistant – An IP55 rating that weathers dust and moisture, so they are durable enough to withstand rainy runs, sweaty rides, or other gritty conditions.
- Dual noise-canceling microphone – Take a call no matter where you’re working out. OpenRun Pro are equipped with an improved dual noise-canceling microphone for crystal-clear calls on both ends. The DSP has been optimized by repositioning the microphones to be more aligned with the mouth. As a result, the noise canceling effect is improved and the vocals are clearer.
- Lightweight & secure fit – The titanium wraparound frame ensures a lightweight (29g), comfortable fit, and keeps your headphone securely in place — no matter how intense your workout.
- User-friendly redesign – OpenRun Pro feature enlarged buttons for easier controls as well as a new charging port location for effortless charging access.
- Shokz app – The brand-new Shokz App is now available in the Google Play and Apple App Store. Download now for easy pairing and user tips. You can choose your listening experience with the selection of two EQ settings (Standard or Vocal Booster).
Frequently Asked Questions about the Shokz OpenRun Pro:
- How does 9th generation bone conduction technology differ from previous
generations? 9th generation bone conduction technology (Shokz TurboPitch ) is the first generation to have two CoreCushion low frequency enhancement units around the transducers. This enables the bass in your music to be deeper and richer, while also making the human voice sound softer and more natural during calls.
- Does OpenRun Pro come in different sizes? No, OpenRun Pro is available in one standard size.
- What devices are compatible with OpenRun Pro? OpenRun Pro is compatible with most Bluetooth devices, including iPhone, Android, PC, and Mac.
- What is OpenRun Pro’s Bluetooth version? OpenRun Pro has Bluetooth v5.1
- What is the average battery life of OpenRun Pro? OpenRun Pro offers 4 hours at maximum volume and 10 hours at standard volume. A 5-minute quick charge provides up to 1.5 hours of battery life.
- Can the charging cable from other Shokz products be used to charge OpenRun Pro? Yes, you can use the OpenRun and/or OpenComm cable.
- Why would I want OpenRun Pro over Aeropex (OpenRun)? OpenRun Pro has better sound quality/more bass, an improved microphone and longer battery life.
- Does OpenRun Pro require an app or special software? No, it does not require an app. Shokz launched the Shokz App w/ the launch of OpenRun Pro, but you do not need to download the app to use the headphones. The app enables easy multipoint pairing and EQ customization (2 EQ settings). You can also find user tips in the app.
- Is OpenRun Pro waterproof? No. OpenRun Pro is IP55 water-resistant. Due to the LeakSlayer and directional sound holes, we were unable to make them waterproof.
- Is OpenRun Pro only for runners? No. All Shokz headphones can be worn and enjoyed by anyone, but they’re inspired by athletes and the benefits they offer runners.
Shokz OpenComm & Shokz OpenComm UC
What is difference with the UC version of the Shokz OpenComm?
ANSWER: OpenComm and OpenComm UC are the same exact headset. The only difference is OpenComm UC comes w/ the Loop 100 dongle. OpenComm is marketed as a mobile headset for people on-the-go and OpenComm UC is marketed as a headset for unified communication to enhance productivity and efficiency at the office or when working from home.
- Optimized For Comfort. Ideal For Mobile Connection.
- All-Day Comfort - The open-ear design brought by bone conduction technology ensures that nothing will be in or covering your ears, ensuring long-lasting comfort, day after day.
- Safety & Connection - The open-ear design allows you to stay connected to your surrounding environment and pedestrians/vehicles on the road, providing security.
- Noise-Canceling Boom Mic - An adjustable DSP noise-canceling boom microphone blocks outside noise while you speak, making it ideal for use in a range of workplace environments.
- Bluetooth 5.1 - This level of Bluetooth connectivity means you can participate in a call without worrying about stability issues.
Unlock a new level of comfort and safety in the workplace, on-the job site or at your desk with OpenComm’s Shokz Bluetooth headset. Patented 7th generation bone conduction technology keeps you connected while allowing for clear communication from background noise canceling microphone that powers 16 hours worth of talk time! This titanium wraparound frame is designed to last long so it can be worn fitted comfortably all day round – no matter where life takes us!
Features of the Shokz OpenComm:
- Open-ear comfort – Unlike traditional work headsets that cover the ears and block
out your surroundings, OpenComm features a lightweight, flexible frame and bud-free design with nothing inside or over your ears, for unrivaled, all-day comfort.
- Noise-canceling boom microphone – The adjustable DSP noise-canceling boom mic eliminates background noise for clear communication in loud environments when positioned near the mouth, making it the best headset for work, virtual meetings and more.
- 16 hours of talk time + quick charge – 16 hours of talk time or 8 hours of listen time on a single charge for all-day communication. Quick charge feature provides up to 2 hours of use with 5 minutes of charging.
- Easy controls –The multifunction button is designed to play, pause, activate voice assistant, answer calls, and more with just a couple of taps. OpenComm is engineered for NFC and multipoint pairing; enjoy seamless Bluetooth pairing with an NFC compatible device or connect two devices at the same time.
- IP55 water-resistant – OpenComm is durable enough to repel dust, sweat, and moisture, so you can take a call from anywhere, worry-free.
- Computer-friendly* – A more seamless user experience is enabled when OpenComm UC is connected to your computer via our wireless adapter (Shokz Loop 100, also sold separately). Just plug it in and it’s ready to go, with no manual settings needed! *This is the feature only for the UC version of the Shokz OpenComm UC!
Frequently Asked Questions about the Shokz OpenComm:
- Is OpenComm compatible with iPhone and Android? Yes
- Is OpenComm compatible with PC and Mac? Yes, OpenComm is compatible with PC and Mac computers that have Bluetooth capabilities. For a more seamless connectivity, Loop 100 is recommended.
- What is Loop 100? It’s a USB-A wireless adapter that delivers a more seamless user experience when connecting OpenComm to computers – especially PC’s.
- Does OpenComm have a Zoom, Teams and/or Skype certification? Not yet, we’re working on it! However, OpenComm/OpenComm UC is compatible with Zoom, Teams, Skype and more.
- Is OpenComm compatible with gaming systems? We do not recommend OpenComm for gaming.
- What is OpenComm’s Bluetooth version? OpenComm has Bluetooth v5.1.
- Can the boom microphone be detached? The boom microphone can swivel up and
down, but it cannot be detached.
- What is the difference between OpenComm and OpenComm UC? The headset is the same. The only difference is OpenComm UC comes w/ the Loop 100 dongle. OpenComm is best used as a mobile headset, for people on-the-go and OpenComm UC is for unified communication to enhance productivity and efficiency at the office or when working from home.
Shokz OpenRun/OpenRun Mini (formerly Aeropex/Aeropex Mini):
- Open-Ear Comfort - OpenRun’s innovative design features a featherweight, wraparound frame and wireless, open-ear fit for comfortable, earbud-free listening. Includes Shokz headband.
- Safety & Connection - Stay aware and motivated through any workout with our 8th generation bone conduction technology. OpenRun delivers quality audio while leaving your eardrums open to surroundings for ultimate safety.
- IP67 Waterproof Rated - Completely sweat and waterproof for workouts, fitness and running. Moisture detection alert included for safe charging. (Not suitable for swimming.)
- 8 Hours of Music & Calls - Enjoy eight continuous hours of music, calls and podcasts with our Bluetooth headphones. OpenRun also features a 10-minute quick charge for up to 1.5 hours of battery life. (Quick Charge Version of Aftershokz Aeropex)
- Outstanding Sound Quality - Bone conduction technology uses vibrations to transmit sound through your cheekbone directly to your inner ear for a premium audio experience.
The Shokz OpenRun are Bone Conduction Open-Ear Endurance Headphones!
These lightweight, durable sport offerings come with a long battery life and quick charge. They also feature PremiumPitch 2.0+, making them perfect for those who want an empowered workout experience that lets them connect in more ways than one while they exercise hard away at their fitness goals or relevant tasks like listening to music on the go without having any interruptions from other sources such as phones ringing nearby – you get all of this plus excellent sound quality too thanks these high tech devices’ closed ear cup design which isolates outside noise so you can focus better internally instead!
Features of the Shokz OpenRun/OpenRun Mini:
- Open-ear comfort – Promising uncompromised situational awareness and extended
comfort in a revolutionary open-ear design, users can tune into music calls without tuning out the world around them — vital for staying safe and alert throughout the day.
- Enhanced sound quality – Powered by patented 8th generation bone conduction, Bluetooth 5.1, and PremiumPitch 2.0+TM, OpenRun delivers clear sound, powerful volume, and a rich bass.
- IP67 waterproof – An IP67 rating (waterproof down to one meter for up to 30 minutes) means you can take on any weather conditions and break a sweat as you train and rock out. A moisture detection alert ensures safe charging. Not intended for swimming.
- 8-hour battery life + quick charge – With 8 hours of battery life and easy commands such as play, skip, pause, and back-a-track, you can enjoy music, calls, audiobooks, and podcasts all day long. OpenRun also features a 10-minute quick charge for up to 1.5 hours of battery life.
- Lightweight & secure fit – The titanium wraparound frame ensures a lightweight (26g), comfortable fit, and keeps your headphone securely in place — no matter how intense your workout.
- Dual noise-canceling mics – Precisely placed microphones cancel out surrounding noise, effectively enhancing speech for crystal-clear calls.
- Moisture detection alert – To keep your OpenRun in top shape, your device will alert you if the headphones are plugged into the charger while wet. Follow the prompt to remove the headphones from the charger for optimal battery life.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Shokz OpenRun & OpenRun Mini:
- What’s the difference between Aeropex and OpenRun? Aeropex was changed to
OpenRun when we rebranded on 12/28/2021. OpenRun is the same headphones as Aeropex, but with new packaging, the addition of a quick charge feature and upgraded Bluetooth (v5.1).
- Can I swim with OpenRun? OpenRun has an IP67 waterproof rating; however, it is not recommended for underwater swimming.
- Does OpenRun come in multiple sizes? Yes, OpenRun is available in two sizes: Standard and Mini. OpenRun Mini’s titanium band is approximately 0.5 inches smaller than the standard OpenRun, sized to better accommodate those with smaller heads or who prefer a snugger fit
- What devices are compatible with OpenRun? OpenRun is compatible with most Bluetooth devices, including iPhone, Android, PC, and Mac.
- What is OpenRun’s Bluetooth version? OpenRun has Bluetooth v5.1
- Is OpenRun only for runners? Absolutely not! All Shokz headphones can be worn and enjoyed by anyone.
- Open-Ear Headphones - Experience unmatched comfort with our lightweight, secure fit, featuring an earbud-free design for all-day listening without ear fatigue.(Rebranded version of AfterShokz OpenMove)
- Safety & Connection - Stay motivated with your favorite audio without compromising on safety. Unlike over-ear and in-ear headphones, OpenMove keeps you connected and aware of your surroundings.
- Secure Fit - From light jogs to everyday commutes, a wraparound titanium frame keeps your bone conduction headphones in place during a range of low impact activities.
- 6 Hours of Music & Calls - Enjoy six continuous hours of music, calls, and podcasts on a single charge with our bluetooth headphones.
- High Sound Quality- Enjoy balanced audio, optimal volume and rich bass delivered through your cheekbone, anytime, anywhere with this premium OpenMove headset.
Shokz OpenMove are Bone Conduction Open-Ear Lifestyle/Sport Headphones
The new OpenMove was created with versatility in mind and designed for everyday use. Engineered with 7th generation bone conduction technology, it delivers comfortable listening at a cost-effective price without compromising on sound quality or safety features like its signature open ear design that has been popular since they launched their former flagship model “Titanium” back in 2015!
Features of Shokz OpenMove:
- Open-ear design – OpenMove leaves your ears completely open for total awareness
of surroundings for a safe and connected listening experience.
- Sound that moves you – Powered by patented 7th generation bone conduction and PremiumPitch 2.0TM, the unique structure of OpenMove’s ear hook compliments the transducer’s ability to deliver precise and balanced audio, optimal volume, and rich bass.
- Water-resistant – Rain, snow, sweat, and dust are no match for these IP55 rated headphones, designed to embrace any elements thrown their way
- 6 hours of music + calls – With 6 hours of battery life on a single charge and dual noise-canceling mics, you can enjoy crystal-clear audio and calls wherever, whenever
- Secure fit – Unlike traditional headphones that move and fall out during use, OpenMove’s titanium band ensures a snug, secure fit.
- Dual noise-canceling mic – Answer calls on-the-go with dual noise-canceling microphones. They exclude surrounding noise, effectively enhancing speech for crystal-clear calls and simple hands-free chatting via a compatible device.
- Easy controls – OpenMove is designed with a modern aesthetic to make the multifunction button fit right in. Easily tap the button to play, pause, skip, activate voice assistant and answer calls.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Shokz OpenMove:
- Is OpenMove waterproof? OpenMove has an IP55 waterproof rating meaning that it is
water-resistant but not waterproof. It can be used in the rain and for intense workouts.
- Does OpenMove come in multiple sizes? OpenMove is one-size-fits-most.
- What is OpenMove’s Bluetooth version? OpenMove has Bluetooth v5.1.
- What devices are compatible with OpenRun? OpenMove is compatible with most Bluetooth devices, including iPhone, Android, PC, and Mac.
- What is the difference between OpenMove’s “titanium band” and the “wraparound titanium frame” on other models? OpenMove has a lightweight and flexible titanium band, but the ear hooks are not engineered with titanium. Models with a “wraparound titanium frame” have titanium around the entire frame – band and ear hooks.
Wow, that was a lot of information! Let me know which Shokz Bone Conducting Headphones you are getting!?
Last update on 2023-03-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.